I was diagnosed as having fibromyalgia syndrome about 6 years ago. I may have had some of the symptoms most of my life and just didn't know it. I also had a bad car accident that may have triggered it all. I think the worst part for me is the fatigue. I wake up tired most of the time. It's really hard to get going when 3 cups of coffee barely wakes you up!
Wikipedia defines it : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibromyalgia
and doctors diagnose it : http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fibromyalgia/ds00079
But I am trying to live with it.
When I was first diagnosed my doctor put me on an anti-depressant, ibuprofen and a mild muscle relaxer. After I took the first dose, I fell asleep. Now I had just gotten up, taken a shower, ate and got dressed for work. I woke up about 2 1/2 hours later....late for work. I had already missed a couple of days before because I had very severe back and shoulder pain. I didn't know at the time but those are just some of the symptoms. My doctor had me change to another medication. It seemed to work better.
After about 3 years,I voluntarily went through a clinical test trial to try out a new drug specifically designed for fibro, but I had to stop the anti-depressant cold turkey and just couldn't handle the withdrawal synptoms. So I went back on the medication.
Now after 6 years and trying another anti-depressant he has suggested something else. It's a new drug that is actually approved by the FDA for Fibro.
I'm currently trying to get off the anti-depressant but I'm having withdrawal symptoms that have gone on for 4 weeks now. Nobody told me that the medication I had been taking is one of the hardest drugs to quit. I'm not even sure my doctor knows how hard it would be. It's not addictive, but withdrawing from it is horrible.
I'm so tired of being tired and of taking drugs that don't really fix anything.
Monday, May 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment